Carolyn Murphy photographed by Steven Meisel and styled by Karl Templer for the November 2014 issue of Vogue Italia.
Scenes such as these invoke pictures of the early nineties. Specifically, memories from a five year old, not quite comprehending the world around her; what is viewed in her reality coalescing with what is seen on the screen of her parents 50 inch NEC. Images transmuting into stories during a time of glorified melancholy, of bleak and dark disconsolateness. An over active imagination churning chronicles of soirées caroused in dark velvet lined rooms, teaming with beautiful people clasping lit cigarettes, laying spiritless on the carpeted floor. Their shadows the only clear signs of movement as they dance eerily in the shadows cast by dimly lit fluorescents. A juxtaposition of sleek blonde bobs with messy, unwashed hair and laughter intermingling with earnestness. Ebony duster trench coats mirror the mood, draped haphazardly over a Memphis-Milano by the door. Their owners crowd around a besmirched Noguchi. To one side, a minuscule mountain of crisp white powder disintegrates into trained fine lines with the precise movements from the smooth hand of a business man clutching an American Express. The other holds empty red wine glasses and overturned bottles of Coors which create an unintentional fortress against the door.
-Sxx
![]() |
| via visual optimism |








great job :)
ReplyDeletexoxo
http://myheartaintabrain.blogspot.pt/
Nice post. Have a nice day..
ReplyDeletewww.reviewwali.com
Sensational!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.distinguisheddiva.com/
I can't stop staring at that first image. This entire editorial does indeed have a serious 90's vibe and your words describe it beautiuflly.
ReplyDeleteRowena @ rolala loves
Perhaps it is the fact that I was rather closed off to the entertainment in the 90s or the fact that I was born during the late 90s, but images like these don't necessarily evoke childhood memories of glamorous melancholy. Despite this, however, the 90s is present, and present strongly in this editorial, I concur. The colour grading, especially, is phenomenal. What a wonderful description, too, Sonia.
ReplyDeleteMay | THE MAYDEN
Thanks May xx
DeleteThese pictures are amazing as well as your post. This editorial is really fascinating.
ReplyDeleteJasmine xx
Jas Claire
OMG! I love this pics!
ReplyDeletexoxo
http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/donkeycool-4487669/
What an editorial
ReplyDeleteLove the shot
The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic
All the images are amazing outstanding editorial great job.
ReplyDeleteAmazing photo and music)
ReplyDeletemary-tur.ru
Hi Sonia! You picked a stunning editorial, it evokes wonderf 90's vibes and makes me feel a bit nostalgic of those years as well. Have a great week ahead, hugs! xo
ReplyDeleteOmg! This is amazing, I love this post!! thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteDiane
www.petiteinparis.com
Great photos. I love it when something takes you back.
ReplyDeleteAmy Ann
Straight A Style
really nice blog! stop by my blog anytime :)
ReplyDeletexoxo Sienna
http://www.fashionintheair.com/2015/10/boho-autumn.html
Amazing editorial.
ReplyDeleteNina
http://www.ninasstyleblog.com
I love these photos!
ReplyDeletexx Elisa
www.francinesplacediy.blogspot.com
------- DIY & LIFESTYLE BLOG -------
Wow these photos are amazing! Such a gorgeous inspiration, thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteCheck out my blog if you want: www.theglamandglitter.com
Tamara xxx
Beautiful! I love photos like these, they tell a story!
ReplyDeleteWritingMonique
Images like these especially with the lit cigarette do evoke a lot of memories of the past. The effortlessness of it all is just amazing. I can't stop staring.
ReplyDeletehttp://fashionablyidu.blogspot.com/
Hehehe I know right xx
DeleteImages like these especially with the lit cigarette do evoke a lot of memories of the past. The effortlessness of it all is just amazing. I can't stop staring.
ReplyDeletehttp://fashionablyidu.blogspot.com/
She does look rather dazed and confused!
ReplyDeleteSuze | LuxuryColumnist
Great post. This is so nice!
ReplyDelete** I'm inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!
xoxo;
VISIT MY BLOG: BEAUTYEDITER.COM
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: @BEAUTYEDITER
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing Sonia!XOXO
ReplyDeleteJeanne
http://fashionmusingsdiary.com
These photos are stunning!
ReplyDeleteBrooke
Pumps & Push-Ups
These photos are amazing and so striking. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteJenn | Jennifer Jayne
WOW it's incredible. All pictures look really good, I think that all of them represent something. The video is very beautiful, love it!!
ReplyDeletexx
www.onlybmh.com
I wish I could create photos like these. Love!
ReplyDeleteLUXESSED
I'm aspiring for this level of creativity too xx
DeleteVery sensational and sensual. Wow!!
ReplyDeletemissymayification.blogspot.co.uk
This photography is stunning. xx
ReplyDeleteChampagne Daydream
love that first pic. i almost thought they were from back in the 90's
ReplyDeleteI was wondering if the pictures were from an old 90s editorial only to read it's from last year. I do love the retro vibe of it and wow, 90s seems so long ago. Damn I am growing old...
ReplyDeleteShireen | Reflection of Sanity
I feel your pain Shireen xx
DeleteI like the idea and mood of these pictures! Really amazing!
ReplyDeletejointyicroissanty
Oh yes this does look very 90s what an inspirational editorial.
ReplyDeleteAllie of ALLIENYC
allienyc.com
Really love reading this... amazing photos too!
ReplyDelete- Cielo
Mermaid in Heels
Great photos! Thanks for sharing, Sonia!
ReplyDeleteDanielle
www.spring2spring.com
Talk about inspiration, this whole post is art. THIS is what it means to be a blogger, being a curator. Taking these photos and combining them with the video and then allowing the music from the video to play while the reading your writing is just ... phenomenal. It's art. THIS is making a post an experience. I cannot even adequately describe how much I appreciate this.
ReplyDeleteZ · HELLOZAUNI.COM
Oh my gosh Z! Thank you for the kindest words ever. And I am so happy you enjoyed this post. The whole story was completely invoked from something in my past - probably an old movie or something xx
DeleteAmazing photos, love the vibe!
ReplyDeletexo, Esther
http://bubblesther.com
How do the photographer and model make night grainy photos look so amazing??
ReplyDeleteTina
www.justatinabit.com
Talent, right there xx
DeleteWow, this is amazing and what a creation. I love how the pictures turned and the video is wonderful! <333
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day!
xoxo,
SHAIRA
www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com
bellissima davvero
ReplyDeletehttp://bellodiesseredonna.blogspot.it/
Awesome photos in video, in love with your blog!
ReplyDeletehttp://yuliapros.com/
Love post & thanks for sharing the clip! xoxo
ReplyDeleteshe's one of my fave models. gorgeous editorial.
ReplyDeleteSo psychedelic like.
ReplyDeleteBLOG STYLECCENTRICFASHION / FB / IG / BLOG<3IN / G+ / TWITTER / LOOKBOOK
This must be one of the best Carolyn Murphy editorials I have ever seen. Thank you for posting this, Sonia, and for that lovely prose you wrote as well:)
ReplyDeleteAgreed and thanks for reading Emmy xx
DeleteThe editorial is sick! The model is just gorgeous!
ReplyDeletesunandsany
Such gorgeous photos!
ReplyDeletexx
Garland Girl
Wow super cool editorial. It's great to see photos of Steven Meisel again :D Haven't seen any in awhile. He's an amazing photographer.
ReplyDeleteWell that's funny that you said that about micellar water. I was never worried about it cos everyone says it so good (esp. bloggers and magazines). Till that one time a pharmacist told me that I shouldn't use it everyday. She said it's to aggressive. I used micellar water for a long time now but haven't noticed any harm :D Nonetheless I'm not resistant to advice and switched to a cleansing oil for everyday use.
MIASMODE
Great post love it. Gemma xx
ReplyDeletewww.jacquardflower.uk
Your blog is so cute. would you like to follow eachother? following you now on gfc.
ReplyDeletekisses!
http://viciadaporlivro.blogspot.com.br/
I love you're blog and this post ♥
ReplyDeletetipscapsule.blogspot.com
The 90s were so heroin chic. These photos definitely capture the decade so well.
ReplyDeletexx Yasmin
http://banglesandbungalows.com
Such cool photography!! :)
ReplyDeleteanaprodanvich.com
Love the style of these photos, very pretty!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mintnotion.com
Amazing photography! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.tickleyourvanity.com/
Sonia, I admire your way of writing - you're so talented, dear!! I bet you would be a fantastic fashion journalist. Agree with you, that's for real sooo 90s and Carolyn rock them. Love Meisel's "Back to the roots" attitude... so many great memories with this era. ;)
ReplyDeleteFab & inspiring post!!
xoxo Ira
JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN
Aww thanks Ira, you're the sweetest. xx
DeleteWaw, lovely post! Your blog is really unique :D
ReplyDeleteFeel free to check my latest post - here
Such powerful images! Such an incredible editorial. Thank you for sharing dear xx
ReplyDeleteErica
www.eggcanvas.me
This is totally 90s- and I agree with Erica, such a powerful shoot!
ReplyDelete-Ashley
Le Stylo Rouge
Thank you so much for sharing these images Sonia, I'd never seen them before. They're so powerfully beautiful and yet not at all in a conventional sense. Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteGabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
x
So gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteDiana Cloudlet
www.dianacloudlet.com