It may shock you to know that I don't eat breakfast.
I don't know if this is an Australian thing or not because I know a hell of a lot of people who don't revel in early morning meals of sorts. For me, it is simple. I'm just not hungry enough to consume so early in the day. And on the off chance when I do find myself feeling peckish, I favour something light and fresh like fruit or yoghurt as opposed to indulging in traditional breakfasts such as bacon and eggs. Firstly I don't like bacon (yes, you read that right) and secondly its way too heavy and indulgent. Unfortunately for me my body has decided to become disloyal, a betrayal which possibly spans over some time now; like the last two or so years. And it turns out I have an under-active thyroid and thus am now on medication that requires me to eat something immediately after downing a minuscule white pill.
Well truthfully I can because I have such an aversion to food in the mornings but nonetheless these little babies have made the foray into breaking bad breakfast habits much less burdensome. They're light, moist and not overly sweet enough to insult. There's also a fun little crunch on top thanks to some crispy, puffed quinoa and chia seeds.
They also happen to be relatively healthy and you can read all about the benefits of quinoa here. Of course you can substitute or remove to make it that extra bit healthy. Or better yet check out the original from which I adapted this one from right here.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
1/2 cup almond meal
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup puffed quinoa
1/2 cup raw sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tbs baking powder
125g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup almond milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150g dark chocolate, cut into chunks
200g fresh strawberries, sliced
1 tbs black chia seeds
Preheat oven to 170°C/ 335°F.
Using an approx 18cm square sheet of baking paper, further cut into 4 pieces until you have a total of 12 small square pieces of baking paper.
Place and mould baking paper pieces into a large cupcake or muffin tray.
In two separate small bowls reserve about 1 1/2 tsp of puffed quinoa and raw sugar.
In a larger bowl place almond meal, flour, coconut, the rest of the puffed quinoa and sugar, salt and baking powder and combine.
Making a well in the centre then add vanilla, melted butter, almond milk and egg and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate and mix through and repeat with fresh strawberries.
Fill each hole on the baking tray so that it is just shy of full.
Top with a sprinkling of chia seeds, puffed quinoa and raw sugar.
Bake for around 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
[ Recipe adapted slightly from Cook Republic ]
Et voila
facebook // twitter // instagram // pinterest // bloglovin
Follow






I love bacon and eggs but I will swap them for this delicious muffins
ReplyDeletehttp://www.distinguisheddiva.com/2015/09/bloggersforrefugees-urgent-need-photo.html
My husband has a tiny tummy in the morning, and I am the complete opposite. I am seriously a tank in the morning lol. These look amazing. Thanks for sharing! If you have a second, I would love to hear your thoughts on my latest.
ReplyDeletexx Leah / www.eatpraywearlove.com
No waaaay, this looks beyond delicious!!! It's freakin' 3 am and I'm so, so hungry right now. Shouldn't have seen this, made me wanna go to the kitchen straight away and start preparing this!!!
ReplyDeleteNow!
Hey, just in case you wanna check up my blog as well, here's mine! :D
www.TheMetropoliteen.com
ooh those muffins look sooooo delicious!! :D
ReplyDeletekatslovefashion.blogspot.com
this looks absolutely delish!! :D
ReplyDeleteAnimated Confessions
I used to skip breakfast too before I became a mum. These look great, by the way.
ReplyDeleteThanks Trishie xx
Deletelooks heavenly!!! I've been using chia seeds on my drinking water for weeks now to help me with my metabolism issues. Lol :)))
ReplyDeletexx, Janine | A Blissful Blog
Wow, in drinking water! I might try that myself xx
DeleteYOU DON'T EAT BREAKFAST?! Whaaaat? But they are the best meal time ever! Ahhhhh, though I'd eat these quinoa everyday if I can hahaha. They look amazing and ssoooo flufffy! I want it now.
ReplyDeletexx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'
Uhmmm.... delicious muffins!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteKisses, Paola.
Expressyourself
My Facebook
I never ate breakfast either - but I always found myself to be starving before lunch came so I changed that and love my cereal now hehe
ReplyDeleteCandice | Beauty Candy Loves
Me too! I didn't have breakfast as a teenager either but when I've started to work I definitely needed one. I have a sweet tooth so I eat my toast with some jam most of the time. I see you muffins would be a great replacement, Sonia. ;) Really mouth watering and yummy!!
Deletexoxo Ira
JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN
Slurp! Delicious Muffins!
ReplyDeleteKiss
Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
Facebook
Bloglovin'
I understand you.. Posts everyday it's a little bit crazy :P
ReplyDeleteHum, so easy and seems to be very delicious :D
NEW DECORATION POST | Closet Dreams
Instagram ∫ Facebook Oficial Page ∫ Miguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D
I could never start the day without eating breakfast. I become such a cranky bitch without food haha! This looks absolutely delicious!
ReplyDeleteXx Naomi in Wonderland
Hahaha! I am too, except in the mornings. I'm just cranky then because it's morning! xx
DeleteI like the idea it contains almond milk as one of the ingredients is my favorite I need to try look delicious.
ReplyDeleteMust try it!
ReplyDeleteThe Cutielicious
http://www.thecutielicious.com
Federica
Yum they look great! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm amazed you don't eat brekkie! When I was pregnant with my son I felt sooo sick in the morning I couldn't even think about food until about 10 or 11am, and I always felt so weak and tired for the rest of the day. I feel much better when I can eat something in the morning - even if it is just usually a slice of toast as I'm rushing out the door.
Hope you're adjusting to your new breakfast routine - with something as yummy looking as this I can imagine it's not too difficult eating! :)
Away From The Blue Blog
It has certainly helped, still trying to adjust to it though xx
DeleteI love muffins of any kind and these look so good. I relate to not eating breakfast. I skip it a lot and just have coffee. But every once in a while I awake feeling ravenous and have to have it. Saved the recipe. Have a great week darling.
ReplyDeletehttp://fashionablyidu.blogspot.com/
OMGGGG those look delish! def gonna try. just found your blog. love it!
ReplyDeleteXO Ellen from Ask Away
www.askawayblog.com
Thanks Ellen xx
DeleteThese look so good! I have never had quinoa in any type of baked good. I personally love breakfast food any time of the day, but I definitely have to eat some type of breakfast.
ReplyDeleteAmy Ann
Straight A Style
What a wonderful and healthy late-late-late breakfast you have :)))
ReplyDeleteThe same happens to me. In Italy we usually drink coffee and eat something sweet, but can add also yogurt.
Have a lovely day!
xoxo
www.bellezzefelici.blogspot.com
Sonia, I feel like I should tell you what I tell my daughter coz she hates eating breakfast: It's the most important meal of the day! :D
ReplyDeleteBut seriously, these look so good. I love all the ingredients in it:)
Urgh, I know! I can't help it! xx
DeleteUmm deliziosi!
ReplyDeleteAlessia
new post
THECHILICOOL
FACEBOOK
Kiss
Yummy, I'm not a great cooker but you gave me the right inspiration to get into the kitchen and start preparing these muffins!!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.carmenantal.com/
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
These look so good!
ReplyDeleteRedLip&Love
You're making me hungry at this hour, my dear! Any left for me?? xoxo
ReplyDeletePlenty Shirley, I'm going to whip up another batch over the weekend too! xx
DeleteThis looks so delicious!!
ReplyDeleteXO Karla
www.kqnstyle.com
oh wow, so yummy :) I'm getting so hungry :D
ReplyDeletehttp://lovelyattitude.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/MissLovelyAttitude
Helloooooo YUM. Gimme, gimme!
ReplyDelete-Ashley
Le Stylo Rouge
This is really nice! Have a great day. :)
ReplyDeletexoxo;
STYLEFORMANKIND.COM
mm this makes me soo hungry, looks amazing :) x x
ReplyDeletemillieerosee.blogspot.com
Sonia, I'm so very sorry for your thyroid problem, hope you are fine now, I know what you mean. You shocked me though as for me breakfast is so important and I cant skip it, well is just cause Im very hungry from the morning!:P Your muffins looks so scrumptious and u have been creative on picking the ingredient. Hugs! xo
ReplyDeleteIts look really good, thanks for the recipe !
ReplyDeleteI need something for breakfast I find! These look so yummy. Great idea
ReplyDeleteHttp://Leftbankgirl.blogspot.com
These look delicious! :)
ReplyDeletex Arwa
http://cremerose.blogspot.com
Yum yum yum, these look so delicious and healthy too!
ReplyDelete~xo Sheree
http://poshclassymom.com
IG: @poshclassymom
Lovely post! Like it, dear:)
ReplyDeleteCheck my new post:
http://starlingdays.blogspot.com/2015/09/lush.html
I'm not very hungry in the morning either but to get my metabolism going, I try to never skip it. These muffins look super yummy. Would even eat them without being hungry!
ReplyDeleteLUXESSED
I never skip breakfast (: they look so good! (:
ReplyDeleteNati xx
www.simplyartdicted.com
Mmm yummmy this looks great!
ReplyDeleteFlorals&Smiles
Twitter
So yummy looking!
ReplyDeleteRedLip&Love
Strawberry and chocolate sound like a tasty combination! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mintnotion.com
Always are xx
DeleteThis is FOOD PORN !! :)
ReplyDeleteplease follow my blog : THE COLORFUL THOUGHTS
I also don't eat breakfast before.. but that was when I was in grade school then I started having it when I'm in the uni.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, your cooking is always looking so yummy, hun.. I really appreciate your efforts for sharing it to us!
Hope you're having a lovely day~
xoxo
Jhem | JhemSays.com
Love this! It looks so tasty and I'm going to have to bake these now!
ReplyDelete-Adriele
www.StyleAssisted.com
Nice..looks delicious :)
ReplyDeletexx
OMG so delicious
ReplyDeleteMelange-Boutique Blog by Noe&Lolita
Oh my they look incredible! I love your food photography!
ReplyDeleteTina
www.justatinabit.com
Thank you Tina xx
Deletethey look soooo tasty!
ReplyDeleteThis looks SO delicious. These past couple of months I've started to cook a lot!
ReplyDeletexx
Go you! xx
DeleteOh, you're right there - nobody can resist chocolate! This is a brilliantly innovative way of encouraging yourself to eat in the morning, I tend to just wolf down a fruit and nut bar and be done with it haha :)
ReplyDeleteGabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
x
Yum yum yum! Everytime I visit your blog I feel hungry!! :)
ReplyDeletexx
June Wants It All - Indian fashion and lifestyle blog
Hehehe! I don't know if that is a good thing or bad! xx
DeleteI would love to eat these muffins. They look so tasty! I alway eat quinoa but have never tried a quinoa muffin.
ReplyDeletewww.spring2spring.com
It's a different way to incorporate them xx
DeleteSeriously, this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing Sonia! I may ave just ran out of quinoa so I have to stock up pretty soon!
ReplyDeleteThese look and sound amazing, YUM!
ReplyDeletexx Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes
This definitely made my tummy mumble! So delicious!
ReplyDeletewww.whateveresther.blogspot.com
What a great healthy breakfast :)
ReplyDeletekatattack2000.wordpress.com