The road to this Monastery was confining and very much perplexing, with only two obscured signs along the way to point us in the right direction. Traveling at only a snails pace through dense villages and labyrinth like streets. Streets that were indescribably narrow with some points requiring vehicle mirrors to be tucked in for safer passage. Such a setting is actually rather common in these parts, when one traverses off the main roads and highways that is. It is a most charming sight, beautifully foreign and authentically Portuguese. Something most travellers fail to experience when opting to remain within larger, more developed cities and towns.
While the drive was relentlessly disorientating, and with spots of internet inactivity causing mass panic and confusion, this trip was very much worthwhile. Even though it had you constantly questioning if such a place could even exist amongst such a dense sprawl of residences. But that horizon tightly guarded by towering stone facades, blackberry bushes and the curious suntanned faces makes for a most dramatic climax. Upon reaching the destination that is. As if out if thin air, a sprawling prairie emerges followed by a grandiose and imposing architectural structure.
The drive towards this estate is equally as magnificent as what lays ahead. A long stretch of gravel that warmly beckons you forward and all against a field of sunburnt lawn. Approaching closer, there is no denying it's palatial standing - albeit a humble one. That is until you physically cross the threshold at the Monastery of Sao Martinho de Tibaes. With an interior that is rich in master craftsmanship and antiquities. And accompanying grounds lush with flora and greenery, like the journey here, the facade of this Monastery sneakily obscures what lays beyond its walls.
(On a side note the image above caught my curiosity whilst in the editing stages. The window to the far right housing a most unexpected and eerie figure...)
Perhaps such sensations could be connected to the mysterious apparition from above?
There is no denying the resplendence and grace that exudes this church. Originally erected in place of an Ancient Roman church back in 1628, adopting Late Renaissance architecture and formed in a traditional Latin cross shape. However its white washed walls in company with gold filigree and carvings and the rich mahogany features, coalescing with slight marble embellishments depict strong influences of Baroque and Rococo touches through the years. This is a site rich in religious artwork and craftsmanship, and it's hard not to spend the afternoon away simply gazing in awe. Especially when it comes to the alter and the upper choir which contains a plethora of works to survey. Which also includes an grand wooden bookstand featuring a centuries old liturgical book.
The Monastery itself dates back to the 6th Century. And its interiors and grounds respectfully pay homage to opulence and craftsmanship expected from such times. While majority of this Monastery remains vacant and sparse, there are still countless rooms, points of interest and antique pieces to admire. Pieces like apothecary jars, Azulejos, carver chairs and interior features are generous throughout. And unlike the interiors at the Paco Dos Duques, there is a strong sense of continuity and identity here.
I can not stress just how sizeable this entire Monastery is. Nor how freely accessible, leaving one with countless hallways and rooms to venture. So I'd highly recommend setting aside an entire day for your visit. There is a small fee for entry but it is well worth it. And located adjacent to the entry, the cemetery cloister (featured in images 4 and 5) is a most darling sight. Stately Tuscan style columns that frame a courtyard abundant in roses to one side, and vibrant Azulejo tiles narrating tales with illustrations on the other. Of course the wooden coiffured ceilings was also rather mesmerising and highly covetable.
There is also glimpses into life back in the 17th Century with the original lavatories remaining intact. Something which will bring on either (or both) a fit of giggles or bewilderment at the gargantuan plummet to the pit below. And while the interiors of this Monastery are undeniably fascinating, so are the gardens. Arches of fanciful grape vines accompanying stonework and hedging reminiscent of the gardens at Casa De Mateus. And a wealth of water features and sprays of efflorescence that can be found within its courtyards. One of which housing housing a bizarre sculpture of a cockerel (image 23). St John's Garden (image 21 and 22) is also worth mentioning. An octagonal design featuring an exquisitely carved fountain, which was once painted and gilded, is a most serene and tranquil scene. As well as being fancifully photogenic framed by it's delicate pink dividing walkway.
Having arrived here late in the afternoon we weren't able to fully experience this estate. While the interiors remained throughly explored, including many ominous nooks found inside various guest sleeping quarters, the grounds however were merely touched upon. Being as extensive as the interiors it just was not a possibility for us that day. So we merely touched upon what these resplendent grounds had to offer. Featuring acres upon acres of lavish landscaping and working fields, one could spend a good portion of their day simply admiring the flanking Hydrangeas over exploring the pathway before you. We may or may not have been guilty of this ourselves.


























Looks so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteCandice | Beauty Candy Loves
this is SO stunning! OMG!
ReplyDeleteHadas | The Fashion Matters- Luxury travel and fashion blog
thanks my friend :)
ReplyDeleteyou have an amazing PT pictures :D Hope you had the most amazing travel :D
NEW DECOR POST | GUIDE TO GETTING THE PERFECT XMAS DECOR!
Instagram ∫ Facebook Official Page ∫ Miguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D
It looks incredible, we have nothing like that here in Brisbane! I did see that weird shape thing in the window, although I couldn't see the face you saw when you zoomed in I do agree it looks like there's something there, how spooky!
ReplyDeleteI always love your travel photos, you take some great shots and these are no exception!
Hope you are having a great start to the week - less than two weeks until Christmas now! Luckily I finished buying all my presents yesterday. Hope your Christmas preparations are going well!
Away From The Blue Blog
Beautiful photos! It looks amazing! :) xx
ReplyDeleteWow, this place looks amazing! Stunning!
ReplyDeleteRaindrops of Sapphire
Oh wow these are some beautiful photos! It looks like such a beautiful place with lots to see.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful place :) Nice! Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteBeauty and Fashion Freaks
Gorgeous place! Driving somewhere new is always a bit stressful when we travel, especially when the roads are narrow, but the views are so worth it, right?
ReplyDeletesimplylovebirds.com
Such a majestic place, your divine photos transport me straight to the heart and soul of the Monastery while your writing is pure bliss and a total dream to read as always talented babe :) The church is truly breathtaking, I definitely feel awe-struck gazing at your stunning shots. The gardens look absolutely gorgeous, my heart is hot for the pretty pink view and the blooms look utterly beautiful. Water features, true vibrancy and grape vines make for the dreamiest scene. I definitely think I'd end up spending an eternity here if I ever visited, it's true paradise for sure <3
ReplyDeleteSophie | soinspo xo
Its truly impressive, I feel in owe seeing at the pics. Happy weekend Sonia! xo
ReplyDeleteOh wow, these photos are stunning! They're so inspiring, I mean that. I'd love to spend a day roaming that Monastery. The figure is interesting too! There's clearly something supernatural going on (in a Monastery, go figure). Hope you're having a lovely week!
ReplyDeleteamberelb.com
Beautiful place, I like the inside yard and the paintings on the wall!
ReplyDeletehttps://dinamighty.com/
So impressive!!! Amazing pics!!!
ReplyDeletexo Paola
Expressyourself
Wow! How beautiful is this monastery? Your photos are fantastic. And that figure in the window gave me goosebumps! Eek! :)
ReplyDelete~Lindsey
https://have-clothes-will-travel.com/
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow, how grand to visit a property that was built in the 6th century!!! The details are definitely opulent and a sight to behold!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post to savour! I love the interiors, a stunning terrain as well. My grandfather was in architecture so I alwasy appreciate historic sights like these with art as a feast for the eyes. <3 Happy Holidays! xx/M
ReplyDeleteFASHION TALES
Just breath-taking, Sonia....sigh....being Catholic, I love seeing how magnificent old cathedrals and monasteries are. It's truly like stepping back in time, you know? And OMG! I had to look closely to see that figure in the window...eerie indeed.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing these Portugal pics:) Have a fab weekend.
Wow, beautiful pictures of a gorgeous place!
ReplyDeleteWOW- it's Beautiful!!! I've been wanting to go to Portugal for a while now!
ReplyDeletexx Leah
www.fashtrav.com
OMG!!! Really beautiful photos dear <333 lovely place ;)
ReplyDeleteBlog x Facebook x Giveaway on my instagram x Bloglovin
This is very beautiful! look at the art inside! Fabulous!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thequinoxfashion.com
Omg this place is a dream. I need to visit it so much.
ReplyDeleteYoutube: https://goo.gl/TuZ8fg
Blog: http://www.easys-tyle.com/
This is really unbelievable that you saw finally after this adventurous trip this impressing, old monastry! I see it was definitely worth the effort to drive throw this narrow streets as the complex is absolutely impressing. Thanks a lot for sharing all the detailed and wonderful pictures!
ReplyDeletexx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com
It looks so incredible there. I love these pictures.
ReplyDeletehttp://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/
This place looks so beautiful but also untouched! Very impressive :)
ReplyDeletewww.talesoftwoblog.blogspot.com
These pictures are absolutely breathtaking. The ornate gold interior detailing is beautiful! I'm actually going to Portugal in February, I'm so excited!
ReplyDeletexo
Siffat
http://icingandglitter.com
OMG Such a beautiful place!!
ReplyDeletehttps://justohana.blogspot.com.es
I am speachless, this monastery is breathtaking, I wish I can visit it sometime!
ReplyDeleteDon't Call Me Fashion Blogger
Facebook
Bloglovin'
I want to go there it looks so magical! <3
ReplyDeletehttp://freshisyummy.blogspot.com/2017/12/christmas-inspirations-2017.html
The divinity speaks through your lens. Your photos truly touched my soul.
ReplyDeleteKeep doing what you're doing. It's unbelievable.
My blog -> staying true to myself
Wow, this monastery is so impressive!
ReplyDeleteKisses, Paola.
Expressyourself
Wow!! these photos are absolutely beautiful!! You're an incredible photographer.
ReplyDeletexoxo
Colleen
http://www.justthattallgirl.com/2017/12/holiday-time-in-cali.html
Wow these photos are amazing. What a location. I would love to see in person!
ReplyDeleteKara Aragon
http://www.thekaragon.com
Beautiful place and pictures! ♥
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mursway.com/
It sounds like you had quite journey as you made your way to this monastery but I bet just being able to tour around it made it all worth while. I've never personally visited any monasteries but from what I've seen they're all in remote locations which I guess makes sense. I would have expected it to be more simple but you weren't kidding when you said it has a palatial feel. One definitely has to appreciate the history it must hold along with the craftsmanship with which it was built. Thank you for sharing it with us. I can imagine it was even more impressive in person.
ReplyDeleteI want to go there it looks
ReplyDeleteThis architecture is truly amazing!! What an awesome experience. Thanks for sharing girly!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Amber | www.loveambervictoria.com
Such an amazing architecture.
ReplyDeleteI love the photos.
Much Love,
Jane | The Bandwagon Chic
E' bellissimo:) Un abbraccio:)
ReplyDeleteVLifestyle
Wow these pics look amazing! Makes me wanna travel !!!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week :D
Olivia Poncelet <3
www.oliviaponcelet.com
What a gorgeous estate! The architectural details are absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking. Thanks for sharing, beauty, and I hope you have the best week ahead!
ReplyDeleteXO,
Jalisa
THE STYLE CONTOUR
Such a beautiful architecture and also the greenery looks wonderful! These pictures are stunning!
ReplyDeletejointyicroissanty
Gorgeous photos, the architecture is absolutely breathtaking! Looks like a fantastic trip!
ReplyDeleteLuci’s Morsels | fashion. food. frivolity.
The pics looks so cool! Amazing!!
ReplyDeletexx
Mónica Sors
MES VOYAGES À PARIS
NEW POST: CHRISMTAS LOOKBOOK - 3 OUTFITS READY TO COPY
Que pasada de lugar, es muy bello.
ReplyDeleteTe dejo mi nueva propuesta navideña, black and white
http://www.simplysory.com/2017/12/19/lookparaeventosnavidenos-blanco-y-negro/
15 mins from my aunt's house....love it!
ReplyDeleteOh so very beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI love going to churches.. not for the spirituality but for the architecture, the stain glass windows, the ceilings..
http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com
Omg- quite the harrowing adventure to get here but WOW. So worth it- stunning shots, babe!
ReplyDelete-Ashley
Le Stylo Rouge
Why are roads/pathways to monasteries always SO difficult to locate and manoeuvre through?! haha. It looks to have very much been worth the journey though, those views - wow! I can completely understand why you found yourself getting lost wandering around and admiring the surrounding nature...
ReplyDeleteaglassofice.com
x
wow! amazing!
ReplyDeleteSandicious
These photos are beautiful, and you visited some amazing places! Also the inside of that church is breathtaking! x
ReplyDeletex Kara | http://karascloset.net/
This monastery is a work of art by itself! I would love to visit it one day! Amazing photography and the ambience there looks really divine! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading :)
ReplyDeleteStella
www.stellaasteria.com
Fantastic pictures!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice week!
Gil Zetbase
Amazing places!
ReplyDeleteHave a good day!
What a beautiful place!
ReplyDeletehttp://gallech.blogspot.com