I love blood oranges. I always gravitate towards anything that incorporates this fruit; specifically drinks and cocktails. That and pink grapefruit. That said I can't say that I'd ever actually consumed a blood orange in its initial fresh form. Mostly because I'd never really encountered it in stores; not to my knowledge at least. That was until a few weeks back when I found myself traipsing through another supermarket. There they were hiding discreetly amongst the other oranges. Just nestled between casually, bundled en masse in a red netted bag.
So what did I do?
As if I'd encountered the holy grail itself, I rushed forward and grabbed two bags then dashed to the exit. Pushing past weaving trolleys and meandering children, knocking down any senior citizen that stood between me and the self-service check outs (I must point out that the later is seemingly a gross exaggeration. You don't think I'm that appalling of a person do you?). I was caught in a wicked fog of blissful greed wanting to go straight home, needing to bite into that juicy, crimson flesh and savour it.
Only when I got home it suddenly dawned on me that I just purchased twenty blood oranges. That is an excessive amount for one individual. Thoughts then turned to slight panic and trepidation over my apparent lustful avarice. What the hell was I going to do with twenty blood oranges?
This was fairly easy to put together, I struggled slightly over the curd as I do with anything that requires the use of a pot and/or stove. And as mentioned in the recipe I also decided to add some food colouring to the curd to allow that vibrant hue to remain whilst baking. And I'm glad I did because I wasn't even happy with the end results, I wanted them much more darker than the muted colour that came out of the oven. So I suppose on the next batch I'll have to saturate the curd further.
-Sxx





Those bars look absolutely delicious!
ReplyDeleteConnie | Sponsored by Coffee | Etsy
They look pretty nice, and such a fun combination, too!
ReplyDeleteOhn so yummy +.+
ReplyDeleteSeems to be so delicious dear friend <3
NEW INSTAPLEASURE POST | November On Insta
Instagram ∫ Facebook Oficial Page ∫ Miguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI loved your description. Of course it was (slightly) exaggerated, but I know the feeling of wanting to try something asap! Happens to me with the first Watermelon of the year I encounter...
ReplyDeleteLinda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking
I love blood oranges!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy December girl!
xo Paola
Expressyourself
My Facebook
I have similar feelings to green grapefruit - called 'sweetie';)
ReplyDeleteAfter seeing this post, today I have to eat really sweet cake:)
jointyicroissanty
They look soo good ;)
ReplyDeletexoxo ❤
Watermelon Clouds
Oooe got my mouth watering!
ReplyDeleteCandice | Beauty Candy Loves
Yum, they look great! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you could find a way to put the fruit to good use! :) I'm always looking for recipes for things when I've bought a little too much of something, haha!
Away From The Blue Blog
I have to try this I love blood orange never thought making them as curd bars wow looks so amazing and delicious.
ReplyDeleteHaha, you are so funny :D I haven't bake anything for a long long time, so I'm feeling a bit inspired now.
ReplyDeleteIt looks utterly delicious Sonia! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete♥♥♥
Jeanne
http://fashionmusingsdiary.com
OMG this looks so yummy!
ReplyDeleteLush Life | Styleccentric Fashion'
This is so nice!
ReplyDelete** I'm inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!
BEAUTYEDITER.COM
omg they look tasty and healthy 3
ReplyDeletehttp://www.adhiwahyudi.com/2015/11/the-urban-zalora-indonesia.html
Oh MY- these are gorgeous + sound yummy!
ReplyDelete-Ashley
Le Stylo Rouge
These look so nice ♥
ReplyDeletesummerdaisy.net
this looks so yummy!
ReplyDeleteTopmost Tree
You won't believe ir but I am super allergic to oranges!!! They look so yummy though!
ReplyDeleteThese are beautiful & look delicious! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeletexMC
http://mc2squared.blogspot.com
These look so good!
ReplyDeletewww.thewonderlanders.com
This looks so so yum and beautiful! Pinterest is the best!
ReplyDeleteChichistashan.blogspot.com
This looks incredible!
ReplyDeletehttp://fairyland111.blogspot.com/
Blood oranges are also my faves Sonia, you just made me want to eat one right one. You made me smile when u said u bought all those oranges, but u managed to created something even better and scrumptious, Im watering! Many kisses! xo
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful use of 20 blood oranges - I'm not sure I'd even know what to do with one! I love your baking posts Sonia, they're always unusual whilst still being 'within reach' (if I ever up my baking game, that is). Have a brilliant month!
ReplyDeleteGabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
x
It looks so good! Even tho I am not a fan of blood orange, I would so like to try this one. I am sure it tastes as good as it looks!
ReplyDeletewww.elabellaworld.com
It seems delicious!
ReplyDeleteEliana,
http://around-eliana.blogspot.pt/
I've never had blood oranges, but you just made everything about it sound so delicious. These looks so damn good. How the heck do you do it?! LOL
ReplyDeletexoxo,
www.houseofakih.com
I love the fresh look of these bars. Such a yummy treat!
ReplyDeleteLUXESSED
I totally get it, they are so delicious and hard to find. I would have never thought of backing something out of them. Looks so good!
ReplyDeletexx,
Tania
http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com/
Honestly, I don't like orange, those regular orange that they often make a juice. But I never had blood orange before and they look delicious. Maybe I should try this before I actually say never :D
ReplyDeleteSTYLE VANITY ♥
Love the colour and decoration!
ReplyDeletehttp://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr/
Mmm oh my gosh this look so good!
ReplyDeleteFlorals&Smiles
Ooo, this looks really gorgeous, and super tasty at the same time! I don't think that I could ever make something like this!
ReplyDeleteSartorial Diner
Looking delicious :)
ReplyDeletehttp://modishnessblog.blogspot.com/