Granted the apple placement is the only fiddly part, then again you don't have to be pedantic as I am, needing the apple slices to be meticulously placed and adorned in a circular fashion.
Don't let my words fool you, it's not that hard to arrange, though once the outer circle is complete I was left wondering how to place the slices in the middle space left behind so alas I mimicked the original design on the recipe I followed; a simple line of apple. Though the perfectionist in me isn't too impressed by it's placement, so I think the next time we meet I'll have another plan of attack ready for that centre void.
It looks impressive in person, though not of the over top towering frosting and sprinkle encased kind. It's an admiration for it's minimalist look, the wow factor stemming from the beautiful flecks of red that shine through. Though the red likes to deceive, as when presented my friends all came to the conclusion that the sunflower like appearance was due to peaches! Actually when I came across this recipe on Taste is thought it involved peaches too but alas it's merely the skin of the apple.
Now for the good part. Yes it tasted mighty fine, very moist and very much eatable on it's own as opposed to accompanied with some flash vanilla bean ice cream, which, obviously feel free to do so. This cake was pretty tasty and as someone who doesn't favour the dry variety of cakes this was anything but.
Definitely made it to my overgrowing honour roll/file of cakes and treats.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
INGREDIENTS:
180g butter, chopped and at room temperature
140g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs
100g almond meal
150g self-raising flour
80ml milk
2 small red apples, cored and thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F and grease and line a round cake pan with melted butter and baking paper.
Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy (should take around 8 minutes) then add the eggs, one at a time making sure to combine each one well into the mixture.
Stir in almond meal then add half of the milk and flour, stirring until combined, then repeat with remaining flour and milk.
Arrange apple on the base of lined cake tin, making sure to overlap each piece.
Carefully spread mixture over the apples making sure to smooth the surface.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn onto a serving plate.
Et voila.
-Sxx




I really have to find some almond meal---not easily found in this small town I live in but I have GOT to try this recipe! I want my piece out of the middle lol! YUMMY!!!
ReplyDeleteTotally trying to make this!It looks mouthwatering!!!!
ReplyDeleteCome by anytime :)
http://spotlightsontheredhead.blogspot.com
~Anna~
so goooooood....
ReplyDeletexoxo
happy day dear
What delight Sonia!
ReplyDeleteThis cake should be very good!
With this huge cold are you doing here, I was already imagining that cake with some tea ... lol. I felt like ... lol.
Kisses Kika / Blog Acessarte
Looks lovely, I think I might actually give this recipe a try for an evening when my friends come for dinner! xx
ReplyDeletewww.rachelsfashionpatch.blogspot.com
yum yum that look so tasty and pretty healthy too! thanks for sharing the recipe hun! itll be the perfect dish come Autumn here. xx. gigi. www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteLove almonds, so I'm definitely trying this out this weekend! You have a wonderful blog!
ReplyDeleteHave fun & Be Fabulous,
Ann
www.stepinsidemycloset.com
That looks so yuuumy :D
ReplyDeletexx
http://heykathrefrain.blogspot.pt/
looks so good...
ReplyDeletekate&bee
kate&bee on fb
mmm look vary tasty!
ReplyDeletekisses from italy
SPORTY CHIC OUTFIT ! The Fashion Factory
Look Very good! I make on similar...
ReplyDeleteCiao
Nicky
www.mywishstyle.com
It looks so yummy!
ReplyDeletefollow each other? :)
Love,
Bong's Belleza
Have a happy Tabloid Tuesday
I am currently drooling... Yum.
ReplyDeleteXX,
Miranda
ooo that looks super yummy!
ReplyDeletex
♥ Ellen
SHOPSTYLECONQUER.COM
Facebook + Instagram
you read my mind! i've been looking for this recipe, thanks so much for the post! looks really yummy :)
ReplyDeleteNEW POST: www.chriissydollxo.com
Let's connect at GFC and BLOGLOVIN'
Yummy, I love fruit cakes :)
ReplyDeletewww.iamlovingthis.blogspot.com
Ooooh!!! i die!!! This looks delicious!
ReplyDeletehave a good day!
ReplyDeleteThis apple and almond cake looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
Xo, Elsa
Mix and Match the F word
I love apples and cakes with them) Thank You for sharing such a nice post!
ReplyDeleteHave a happy time!
Alexandra
www.svetusvet.com
Absolutely delicious!
ReplyDeleteCome back soon to visit me on Cosa Mi Metto???
This looks so tasty! I love anything with baked apples so I would love to try this out once cooler weather rolls around here!
ReplyDelete~Jacy
Yum, this looks amazing!
ReplyDeletexo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee
nice post dear, I am totally liking this cake. Looks deliscious!
ReplyDeletexoxo;
Into The Blush, a Beauty Blog by Kenny.
Goodness me that looks deeeeeeeelicious!!! Wow - I need to try this out! Thank you so much for sharing... you have now made me insanely hungry and I'm still at work :( Damn!
ReplyDeletewww.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com
Great job Sonia.... absolutely Delicious!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy friday doll!
Nom! Oh, this is one of my favourite cakes, though I have to admit I usually buy mine! I love the smell of them & that little cinnamon kick, always reminds me of winter. Yours looks super yummy & the recipe is actually much simpler than I expected it to be!
ReplyDeleteChrist.... this looks so fluffy that i am practicaly begging for a bite....
ReplyDeleteMiss Margaret Cruzemark
http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/
Oooo it looks so yummy!
ReplyDeletexx
www.forevermissvanity.com
Apple and almond sound like a really good combination ;)
ReplyDeletexx
www.clothesandcamera.com
I haven't tried making an apple cake before, it sounds so appealing and looks delish! Have a fab weekend hun!
ReplyDeleteYum, it looks so good and you make it sound so easy! :)
ReplyDeleteAway From Blue
Nom nom nom that looks so yummy! x
ReplyDeleteomg!♥ the cake looks amazing! lovely blog!♥ I'm following you on facebook (petra lorencova), bloglovin and google+ (petra lorietta), you can follow me back if you'd like;) kisses!
ReplyDeletewww.lorietta.cz
My Facebook page
My Bloglovin profile
I don't love the idea of cooked fruits, but this is looks so gorgeous.
ReplyDelete7% Solution
It does make a statement, and it must be delicious too! Thanks for sharing and Bon appetite!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Coco et La vie en rose
Coco et La vie en rose on Bloglovin
Coco et La vie en rose on Facebook
This will sound weird but I love the way you used fonts in your post title. And this looks delicious, but unfortunately I can't eat gluten :(
ReplyDeletehttp://lasaloperie.blogspot.com
this is yumzie! love it!
ReplyDeletehope you'll follow back!
http://lefashionarie.blogspot.com/
Omg that looks so yummy!!!
ReplyDeletecaughtinvogue.blogspot.com
so you just successfully made me hungry
ReplyDeletexx.M
www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com
Oh my! This looks so yummy! I'm hungry now
ReplyDeletehttp://dixielu302.blogspot.com
Oh God, apple cakes are the most yummy thing ever. I want a slice right now!
ReplyDeleteIt looks so delicious and beautifully presented. Yum!
ReplyDeleteReally love apple cake, sooooo good!
ReplyDeletewww.thebeautifulessence.com
oh my! now I'm craving for something like that! yum yum yum :)
ReplyDeleteYUM. That looks and sounds amazing!!! I love any kind of dessert with almond. It looks so pretty too, I wouldn't want to eat it : )
ReplyDeletexox,
anna-lamode.blogspot.com
I wish I knew how to bake, this looks so good x
ReplyDeleteM
Oh yum, you've put me in dessert mood. Definately baking tonight
ReplyDelete@Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces |
Oh my gosh this looks amazing! Making me so hungry this late at night ><
ReplyDeleteFashion Ganache.
http://fashionganache.blogspot.com
That looks so tasty!!
ReplyDeleteWould you like to follow each other on Bloglovin and GFC? Take a look into my blog and let me know! www.gwiyomistyle.net
that looks like a great dessert with tea/coffee! :D
ReplyDeleteAnimated Confessions
This looks phenomenal! AND decently easy to make considering I tend to mess things up in the kitchen a lot...definitely need to try this though!
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
Grace
A Southern Drawl
Looks super delicious! Would totally lick the screen if I could just get a taste.
ReplyDeleteMamma mia! This is exactly what I wanna nibble on right now! Aaaah, you're definitely reading my food taste girl <3!
ReplyDeleteHope all is good with you, sending loads of X and O's :)!
xx
http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/
Can't beat a good home-made cake! :-)
ReplyDelete▲_▲ HYENA
xx
aww this look so yummy!
ReplyDeleteSHE WALKS Blog
You never fail to make me craving for dessert. If only I can pick it from my monitor, I am virtually obese by now.
ReplyDeleteKisses,
Bex
Personal Style Blog
Look so yummy !!! :-D
ReplyDeletexxx
M.
butterflyeffectbymarina.blogspot.ro
Oh my word. Sonia. This looks absolutely divine. How talented are you:)?! I don't think I have enough patience (or talent) to put together such a gorgeous cake!
ReplyDeletemm I love apple cakes, and this one looks divine!
ReplyDeletecallmemaddie.blogspot.com
that looks so delicious
ReplyDelete