Truthfully, not really. All I had was about 1/2 cup of cocoa powder.
Still, worst feeling ever.
Especially when one is in some comfy sweats and can't be bothered wrestling for parking spaces and cash registers. So I did what any sane person would and hit the wide web for a new plan. My go to site is Taste for almost everything; they've got an abundance of recipes including copious amounts of chocolate related finds.
Winning, every time.
So after an eternity spent searching for something that did not require the use of solid chocolates or creams I finally found something I could work with. Chocolate pound cake.
To add to the drama worthy for a reality TV show I didn't read the recipe properly; like always and then found myself in another damn kerfuffle. For one, you need to heat up and melt most of the ingredients to combine etc then let cool down. I did not have time for this. Grrr. Secondly the frosting also needs time to chill in the fridge. Lazy bastard.
Moral of this rant. Read the instructions people! It's pretty common sense but my brain apparently missed that memo and now hard-wired not to do so.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup caster sugar
150g butter, cubed
1/2 tsp bicarb soda, sifted
1 1/2 cup self raising flour
2 eggs
FROSTING:
50g butter, cubed
1/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/4 cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F and grease a medium sized square pan.
In a non stick saucepan combine sugar, butter, bicarb soda, cocoa and 1 cup of cold water over a low heat setting. Cook for about 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
Bring to boil and let simmer for 2 minutes or until mixture doubles the transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
Add flour and eggs and beat with an electric mixer until pale and smooth then pour into cake pan.
Bake for 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to stand for 10 minutes then remove from pan to cool completely.
To make the frosting add butter, caster sugar and 2 tbs cold water into a saucepan on medium high heat and bring to boil. Remove from heat.
Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl and gradually add the wet mixture stirring to combine.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes then spread on cake.
You can also check the original right here.
Et Voila.
Oh yum! This looks amazing. Thanks for sharing the receipe!
ReplyDeletexx Mandi
Find Me A Muse
Funny story:-)
ReplyDeleteKisses
Aga
New posts:
How to wear prints?
How to ride a bike with style?
Follow me at Bloglovin!
www.agasuitcase.com
Yummy! :)))
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thegaragestarlets.com/
omg you just made me hungry hahaha!
ReplyDeletex
♥ Ellen
SHOPSTYLECONQUER.COM
Facebook + Instagram
Looks so yum! I'm a sucker when it comes to chocolate, this is making me hungry.
ReplyDeletex Mariana | www.goingteen.blogspot.com
This. Looks. Amazing. What. Are. You. Doing. To. My. Diet.
ReplyDeleteNo really, Imma gonna try this over the weekend. I'm already drooling.
Hope you're having a great day, my love :)!
xx
Hahaha just for you darling! xx
DeleteOMG!!! You killed me with chocolate now!
ReplyDeleteYummy!!!
Hahaha! Funny Story.... but seems everything turned well! Soo.... alway watch tv, and leave everything for the last Minute :)
ReplyDeleteSure did! xx
DeleteYummy!!!
ReplyDeleteXX,
Miranda
Yumm! Great recipe!
ReplyDeletexx
Quiestinquiestout
This looks so delicious!
ReplyDeleteLUXESSED
OMG looks like serious trouble.
ReplyDeleteLovely cake... Im going to get some chocolate RIGHT NOW!
ReplyDeleteKisses from Miami,
Borka
www.chicfashionworld.com
I definitely need a piece of it!!
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Ylenia
Hi beautiful!! Thank you for stopping by, I really appreciate it like always :)
ReplyDeleteBtw this is an amazing post, its so sweet :)
Come to see my new post in the water at;
http://peaceinmyshoes.blogspot.com.es
Oh no! I'm assuming everything went well in the end?
ReplyDeleteThe cake looks really rich and decadent.
Yes it did, luckily! And tasted even better! xx
DeleteThis still looks amazing!Yum
ReplyDeletehttp://www.fashionloving.co.uk
Wow...... this looks delicious!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day darling!
Delicious!
ReplyDeletexxx Maya
http://www.lipsticknews.nl
woooow, I want to eat it!!! yummmmii!
ReplyDeletexoxo
www.donkeycool.blogspot.com
I always read the instructions but I don´t know sometimes it just don´t work out haha.
ReplyDeleteThis cake looks super yummy and I´m starving right now. If I could just have a bite right now :)
xx
Hahaha hate when that happens, I always read them wrong too. Sending you a huge virtual piece in the meantime! xx
DeleteIt looks very dense and compress almost like the brownies. This is the second recipe today I'm bookmarking. I normally hit the kitchen and oven more during the summer, so planning to try out all the recipe I bookmarked then :)
ReplyDeleteGREETINGS FROM DUBAI
MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES
http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/
Oh let me know how you go! xx
DeleteLooks delicious! I LOVE chocolate
ReplyDeletehttp://moongreyhound.blogspot.it/
haha! funny story but finally everything look stunning :)
ReplyDeletethis is the chocolate cake my uncle always cook for me and i'll never get bored of!
xxxFiC.
Thanks darling, I wish I had someone to make it for me. Oh well guess I'll just have to do it myself ;o) xx
DeleteSonia! you made me crave for it now. They look yummy! LOL that's a funny story.
ReplyDeleteKisses,
Bex
Personal Style Blog
Haha you are funny, I gonna make it cause it looks delicious! Love from her
ReplyDeleteomg that looks really yum!!!
ReplyDeleteI want that, NOW :D
ReplyDeletexx
www.clothesandcamera.com
Lazy limps doesnt mean cant make good cakes. Guess ure talented to do it even with one eye closed. Cant believe it turned out so well with the way u describe hw u were finding ur ingredients and having difficulty getting it together. Love hw you wrote about this post! I enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Issa for your kind words and for taking the time to read this! Hehehe, you rock girlfriend! xx
DeleteYum, I could really go for a chocolate pound cake right about now!
ReplyDeletexo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee
That looks too good! Yummy! :)
ReplyDeletecallmemaddie.blogspot.com
That looks so delicious =), thanks for sharing and for your comment in my blog.
ReplyDeleteI'm following now with GFC.
Stop by sometimes,
XX
TRENDY FEELING
Thanks so much Karen. xx
DeleteI'm in trouble...
ReplyDelete-Jamie
ChatterBlossom
Hi my dear friend!
ReplyDeleteI love chocolate cake, and to make matters worse I always do a brigadier soft to put as filling and cover ... Hum .. It is a delight! Guess I'll have to do hahahahaha.
Kisses Kika / Blog Acessarte
OMG Kika! L O V E brigadeiro! xx
DeleteI'm dying. So good to see I'm not the only one who loves baking and pastries... Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteYay! Same to you doll. xx
Deleteyummy :)
ReplyDeletexx
http://losaway.blogspot.com
Looks so yummy!!
ReplyDeleteXoXo
Teresa
www.chicaffordable.blogspot.com
Yumyyy!! I love chocolate cake!
ReplyDelete-Vogue&Heels
www.vogueandheels.com
Besides all the issues you got a preety decent cake out of it! hahahahah
ReplyDeleteIrresistible !!
ReplyDeleteNew Post up...
❤ StylishByNature.com
Awesome. I want a piece!
ReplyDeleteYUM, that looks so delicious, that I WANT SOME RIGHT NOW!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing.
And thanks for visiting my blog - im now following yours, and hope you will return and follow mine too!!
And dont forget to enter my new GIVEAWAY too...
http://beautyandlifestylehunter.blogspot.com.au/
Thanks lovely! xx
Deleteyummyyyyy!!!
ReplyDeleteThe Fashion Heels
Facebook
Bloglovin
Twitter
Yummm that looks simply perfect!
ReplyDeleteXO, Imke
Hi dear
ReplyDeleteOh, this chocolate cake seems yummy!
Nice recipe
xoxo
Yummy! Looks so delicious! Thanks for the recipe! Glad that you could whip something up for party!
ReplyDeleteRebecca
www.winnipegstyle.ca
that actually looks really good, even for being in a rush! :)
ReplyDeleteAway From Blue
looks so good
ReplyDeleteLA By Diana Live Magazine
This looks so yummy! x
ReplyDeleteFashion Landscape
It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm going to pass it to Mr. NJAPD, the family chef...
ReplyDeleteOh my god, this cake looks lethal! I'm dribbling at the sight of it mmmm.....
ReplyDeleteMy latest post ** High Street Fashion Week Outfit 1 **
Mags x
GNAM! I want a piece of this cake :)
ReplyDeletexoxo Denis.
www.thebsheep.blogspot.com
Oh God... I don't want just a bite. I want to eat this. Everything. Not leave a piece...
ReplyDeleteBest Regards
Miss Margaret Cruzemark
http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/
oh my Sonia! can feel its taste in my mouth! drooling...
ReplyDeletewish you a sunny week full of inspiration!
kisses
that looks delicious! wish i wasn't looking at this just before lunch..
ReplyDeletesteph / absolutely-fuzzy.com
looks so yummy!! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://itsnicoleperez.blogspot.com/
mmmm.. yummy !
ReplyDeletehttp://www.olastory.com/